Work for a company you can be proud of!
Be part of a diverse team of forward-thinkers and doers–people who want to make an impact and cultivate their expertise in collaboration with others.
EMH&T is looking for a talented student to work full-time for the summer (June - September) in our Columbus office. The ideal student will either be currently pursuing or have recently completed a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Environmental Science, Biology, Natural Resources, or related discipline. Candidates with equivalent experience may also apply.
You will have the opportunity to assist staff members with skilled manual labor work and vegetation assessments for stream and wetland restoration projects throughout central Ohio. The main duties will involve working with a certified commercial herbicide applicator to control invasive plants with appropriate herbicides, transplanting and installing wetland vegetation, as well as plant identification and habitat assessments for stream and wetland restoration projects. Involvement in other natural resource field investigations will be conducted as needed. By the end of the project, you will learn aspects of stream and wetland restoration practices, plant identification, Ohio EPA stream and wetland monitoring techniques, and other components of stream and wetland ecology as directed by the applicant’s interest.
Favorable consideration will be given to applicants experienced with previous experience performing manual labor and arduous tasks, invasive plant treatment methods, wetland plant identification and Ohio EPA stream and wetland evaluation methods (ORAM, HHEI, QHEI, VIBI, etc.).
Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Environmental Science, Biology, Natural Resources, or related discipline or equivalent experience.
Capabilities necessary for the position:
- Anticipated start/end date for the position is June 4th through September 28. We can be flexible with the end date.
- The majority of work will occur 7:30am to 4:30pm, Monday through Friday, but longer days should be anticipated. Certain projects may require traveling out of town for up to five (5) consecutive days at a time or require working some weekends.
- The applicant will be paired with an environmental scientist for a majority of the work. However, instances may arise that will require the applicant to perform tasks independently.
Physical Requirements of the position:
- This position will almost exclusively involve working outdoors in all types of weather conditions in forested, open field, and riparian areas. Project sites will commonly involve exposure to stinging and biting insects (bees, mosquitoes, and ticks), poison ivy, as well as allergens and other natural elements.
- This position will require carrying and operating a backpack herbicide sprayer with manual pumping operation which can weigh in excess of 40 pounds when full. Shoulder, arm, and hand fatigue can be common when carrying and operating this equipment.
- This position will require extended periods of standing, walking, bending, crouching, and repeated lifting of heavy objects (up to 50 pounds) for up to 10 hours a day.